Preparation of articles,Nurses responsibility in Baby Bath,Procedure
sponging, Tub bath, Lap bath, Oil Bath, Ideal time for bathing
,all information about Infant Bath Nursing Procedure Bath Types information given Below
Baby Bath Nursing Procedure Bath Types Responsibilities
Baby Bath Definition:
Baby Bath is Cleaning of Baby Skin using water and Soap or Oil for removing dirt and bacteria to Promoting skin health and massage baby body to referesh baby
BABY BATH PURPOSE:-
• To cleanse the skin and stimulate circulation,
• To refresh the baby,
• To clean the body off dirt and bacteria,
• To stimulate circulation,
• To provide active and passive exercise,
• To induce sleep,
TYPES OF iNFANT BATH
• Sponge bathes are given to infants who are acutely ill babies.
• Bath is given on the bed itself using a soft sponge cloth.
• This is the common method of giving bath to a baby.
• The baby is submerged in to the water in a tub or basin.
• When tub baths are not possible,
• Mothers keep their babies on their lap and give the bath.
• Pre-mature babies and sick babies are given oil bath.
• Oil is applied all over the body and it is wiped off with cotton balls or rag pieces.
IDEAL TIME FOR NEWBORN BATH
• Baby should not be bathed within an hour after feed because moving may cause vomit.
• Most babies go to sleep soon after the feeding ideally, the babies are bathed before the second feeding, taking care that the baby is not tired or hungry.
NURSE RESPONSIBILITY IN GIVING A BABY BATH
• All premature babies are oiled,
• Very sick babies are washed in their cots,
• Never leave baby alone during bath, because there is danger of falling the baby,
• 1. Check the physician’s orders to see the specific precautions to be taken any.
• 2. Assess the infant’s need for bathing.
• 3. Check the temperature respiration and colour of the skin.
• 4. Check whether the child has taken the feed in the previous one hour.
• 5. Check the articles available in the unit.
ARTICLES PREPARATION FOR NEW BORN BABY BATH:-
• Weighing scale,
• Tub for Bath and mattress,
• Buckets 2,
• Jugs 2,
• Towels big 1, small 1,
• Oil in a container,
• Soap in a soap dish,
• Rag pieces in a container,
• Spirit and antibiotic powder for baby umbilical card dressing,
• Macintosh and towel,
• Kidney tray and paper bag,
• Dress for baby bath,
• Room heater in cold weather,
PREPARATION OF THE INFANT FOR BATHING
• Explain mother what you are going to do,
• Check the room temperature and worm it if necessary,
• Close the windows and put off the putt off the fan to prevent draught,
• Adjust the position of the bath table to prevent the baby from falling,
• Keep the table against the wall
• Place the mackintosh over the table,
• Collect all articles in readiness before beginning the procedure,
• Fill the basin half with warm water (37.8 or 100 f)
TUB BATH PROCEDURE:-
• Collect the articles,
• Bath table on mattress covered with the mackintosh,
• Take the baby on bath blanket or shawl,
• Wash hands and wear apron, bring the bath table, wrapped in a bath blanket,
• Check whether baby is wet with urine or stool if wet clean the baby,
• Clean the baby buttocks if necessary by using cotton swab,
• Take weight and record it ,
• Wash hands,
• Pour water in basin, at 100 degrees of Fahrenheit,
• Wash babies face with clean water and wash cloth,
• Wrap baby in blanket, support the back and head holding over the basin,
• Wash head and rinse well,
• Place baby on the table and dry head with towel,
• Place the baby in the basin while supporting the head.
• Wash body with soap and wash cloth,
• Give special care to the genitalia,
• In boys retract the fore skin of the penis, do not use force if it is tight. Wash and report to the doctor,
• Place the baby back on the table,
• Clean the cord and keep dry,
• Dress the baby and wrap in the blanket, Put him in the cot,
• Tidy up the bath table, clean the equipment and put it the proper place.
Baby Bath video Nursing Procedure
AFTER CARE OF THE Infant BABY AND ARTICLES
• Dress the stump, if any with spirit and antibiotic powder,
• Dress the baby to its mother to give feed,
• Take the articles to the utility room, disinfect the articles and clean and dry it for next use,
• Wash hands,
• Record the procedure in the nurse’s record with time and date,
Nursing Procedures and Nursing Interventions
We are providing online Nursing Education seresies through following links
For Nursing Interventions Tutorials, Nursing Care Procedure first Aid Nursing related information Click Here